Wednesday, 18 January 2017
DJ Jimi Needles - Needlewurk Vol III Free Download and Exclusive Interview
There's nothing better on a cold, wet winter's day than settling down for a chinwag with one of the funkiest men on the planet to talk beats, bass, funk, filth and the future - so that's exactly what we did.
Jimi Needles spends daylight hours in his beat lab, meticulously piecing together award-winning mixtapes and funk-fuelled tracks, and the hours of darkness packing out dancefloors as London town's premiere resident funk flinger - either DJing behind the decks or as drummer for soul band Ephemerals. So we grabbed a rare slice of his schedule to shoot the breeze . . .
Tell us about the latest (and final??) installment of your Needlewurk mixtape series. Vol I nabbed you the coveted Funk and Filth Mix of the Year crown back in 2014, Vol II was equally epic and now the trilogy is complete . . .
Needlewurk Volume III will indeed be the last in the series of "That" thing, I want to do something different next. I think I give away a lot when I put these mixes out; it's basically my perfect live show - and I guess if I keep doing these mixtapes people will either stop booking me for DJ sets completely, or I'll simply be known as 'that mixtape guy.' Gonna change it up or specifically theme mixes for the time being.
Oh, and, in the intro of Needlewurk Volume III, the movie guy voice is... me! Get in touch if you want a shout out, I charge by the syllable :)
Find the track listing at the end of this post.
So if mixtapes are on the back-burner, what else have you got coming up?
Ephemerals (Jalapeno Records), the soul band I drum for had a #1 hit in the French charts. Hasn't really impacted the band as we were sampled by David Guetta protege Kungs and he made our tune into a house banger. Feels weird but cool playing it in the clubs, that's for sure!
I'm also working on the Jimi Needles album, I'm moving away from the clichéd overuse of samples and more towards creating original hip hop, future bass, mid tempo breaks and drum and bass. There are stacks of people featuring on it already, all will be revealed.
What would you say is your major inspiration?
People often ask me what my inspirations are, especially when they ask me about my music taste or my mixing style. I grew up on a very healthy diet of DJ Yoda, Doorly and 2ManyDJs. DJ Yoda for the humour and the scratch DJ antics, and Doorly / 2ManyDJs for the genre bashing and party rocking.
And what's a major ball-breaker for you?
Soundcloud takedowns! I was unlucky enough to have a SoundCloud copyright takedown when I initially put the mixtape up. Somehow this worked to my advantage, as everybody was chatting about how one of my mixes was removed, I concurrently uploaded a version of the mixed tape with a brand-new edit instead of the Beatles acappella I used. Fingers crossed this one doesn't get taken down! I think SoundCloud have forced a lot of users hands; everybody's got two or three alternate accounts now; I think the obsession with trying to control where the music is being streamed from by the major labels coupled with SoundCloud becoming more of a mobile app has made the platform less enjoyable than it was 5/6 years ago; unlike Spotify, the company was never looking at sensible ways of hooking up any played content to the respective artists revenue stream, which is why the Majors are relentless. I think Soundcloud Go is too little too late; a few friends from Germany say that as a company they are in $50m worth of debt and will be bankrupt by the end of the year if no one buys or bails them. Eek!
Artists I'm looking out for this year; Phibes have good Instagram banter levels, definitely follow them as they have an album coming out too. Been privy to the new Krafty Kuts album, it's a banger, with an ensemble cast of MCs and Special Guests. Start watching cats like Dubra & Arteo, they are putting out some sick remixes lately!
Then there's Bootique Records, which is an imprint label that will launch February. It's a family affair! Few established DJs and Producers will be featuring on "Shake Ya Bootleg Volume One". Mark Rae, Odjbox, WBBL and Great Scott, and some newcomers like Estonia's Gram-of-Fun and Bournemouth's Pugzilla. The 10 track debut is a digital only release; funk, bass and hip hop vibes. (Let's talk about that when we launch). We'll be donning a London clubnight too
You can catch Jimi headlining Get Purple in London and expect to see his 2017 festival schedule published soon. But for now, we suggest you press play on Needlewurk Vol III and twist the volume knob all the way to the right!
And why not treat yourself to his Funk and Filth exclusive track 'Mr Big Stuff' which you'll find right here . . .
Needlewurk III Tracklisting
1. Needlewurk III (Intro ft Jimi Needles)
2. De La Soul - Ring Ring Ring (OJKB Bootleg - JN Fix)
3. Smokey Joe & The Kid - Please Come Home (Jimi Needles Remix)
4. Jimi Needles - Gimme The Call (WBBL Remix Instrumental)
5. Mr Bill - Skweeroskiz
6. Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (Acapella)
7. Zhane - Groove Thing (Acapella)
8. Chance The Rapper (ft Knox Fortune) - All Night (Edit)
9. Rogue - Nemesis
10. Metaljackets - Bass
11. Maki - Nena
12. Fasta & Ameiro - Don Dada
13. Tropkillaz - Barrunto (Featurecast Remix)
14. Yung Wall Street - Baby (Jimi Needles Remix)
15. Yung Wall Street vs Cookin’ On Three Burner - Baby Girl (Jimi Needles Mash)
16. The Carpenters - Rain Days & Mondays (Acapella)
17. Getter - What The Frick
18. Light Years Away - Melrose At Midnight
19. Mura Masa vs Fatman Scoop & Faith Evans - Be Lovesick (Jimi Needles Boot)
20. Dr Dre vs Fugees - Episode Or Not (Jimi Needles Rewind)
21. The Beatles vs Sister Sledge - Peak Together (Jimi Needles Boot)
22. Al Green - Let’s Stay Together (Short Edit)
23. Jimi Needles - Stay
24. Stanton Warriors - Hoping (The Vanguard Project Remix)
25. Notorious BIG ft. Method Man - The What (Acapella)
26. Document One - Run The Block
27. Funkanomics - Sucker Brunch
28. Wu-Tang Clan - Bring The Ruckus (Edit)
29. Krafty Kuts - Who’s The DJ
30. Gram-Of-Fun - Shoop (Edit)
31. Slynk - Where’s The Party At
32. DJ Shadow - Organ Donor (UZ Remix - Jimi Needles Loc’d Out Mix)
33. Phibes - Came To Get Down
34. A.Skillz vs Beatvandals - Beat Don’t Stop (Jimi Needles "Me & My Toothbrush" Rework)
35. Blackstreet - No Diggity (Acapella)
36. WBBL - Funksation
37. Mr Oizo - Flat Beat (Aaron Snapes Remix)
38. Mat Zo - Soul Food
39. Pr!nce - FunkNRoll (Chris Lake Remix - Krafty Kuts ReKut)
40. Tascione - Lights Out
41. DJ Scene - Body Mover
42. Room 5 vs Major Lazer - Pon De Disco (Jimi Needles Smashup)
43. Jvst Say Yes & Torro Torro - Give It Time
43. Blonde - All Cried Out (Acapella)
44. Delta Heavy - White Flag (VIP)
45. Dilemn & The Clamps - Frenzy
46. Tom Morello & Knife Party - Battle Sirens (RIOT Remix)
47. Drumsound & Bassline Smith - Freestyle Mambo VIP
48. The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy (Bad Company Remix)
49. Defunk - Rock My Soul
50. TC - Tap Ho
51. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows (Jimi Needles Edition)
52. Jimi Needles - Gimme The Call (ft. Great Scott & MC Skilf)
53. Krafty Kuts & Dynamite MC ft. Rodney P - Canvas (Dubra & Arteo Remix)