British summer has officially arrived . . . so that means one thing: festival time!!
One of the highlights of the summer is the trip down to Newquay for Relentless Boardmasters . . . a festival that (without exaggeration) is second in line only to Glastonbury in terms of all round awesomeness, and anyone who’s been to Glastonbury will know!
Last year’s Boardmasters was immense, with the likes of Stanton Warriors, Benji Boko, Snatch the Wax, Krafty Kuts and Fatboy Slim thumping out what can only be described as fucking massive sets! Two of this lot, Krafty and STW are back again to rock the clifftop again in 2012, let’s hope there’s no monsoon like last year.
Dizzee Rascal and Ed Sheeran are the headliners for the weekend, but there's a whole load of great artists and DJs this weekend, so here is the Funk and Filth must-see list for Boardmasters 2012, plus everything else you need to know:
1. First up is the one and only Krafty Kuts. I’ve never heard a set that’s anything other than awesome from Krafty, and after he decimated the clifftop last year in the midst of a swirling monsoon I’m expecting another ridiculous one this year. Grab his legendary free Fresh Kuts mix series right here.
2. Snatch the Wax – Newquay is home soil for these guys and, having stumbled upon them during a pretty heavy lunchtime session last year, I can vouch that these guys know how to start the party. Give a shit whether its 7pm or 7am, if STW are on you get involved!
3. We are big fans of The Dancefloor Outlaws at Funk and Filth, and their set is bound to be funkiest one of the weekend. No chance I’m missing this!
4. Pyramid basically own the 140BPM Jungle world at the moment. Remixes, originals, whatever, they come armed with bass and I’m envisioning some mosh pit action during this one!
5. Also local boys, Hong Kong Ping Pong are the friendly face of funk. Their regular club night in the south west and their series of mix tapes have carved them out as true dancefloor fillers and the number of shapes thrown during their set is expected to be astronomical! I for one wll be dancing like a right helmet.
6. The Freerange DJs are the wild card in the pack and are therefore highly anticipated . . . not entirely sure what we are going to get from these boys, but there will be bass, there will be beats and, if I have anything to do with it, there will be lots of rum!
7. Dubstep pioneer Doorly is a sure thing to make the Unleashed Arena rumble. It’s going to be grimey, it’s going to be naughty, it’s going to be awesome.
8. The legendary DJ Zinc is still as brilliant as ever, and has come a long way since the 138 Trek (what a tune!) days. Expecting more filthy business at Boardmasters!
9. It’s been played almost to death, but Feel the Love is still an absolute tune, and no doubt we’ll be hearing that from Rudimental at Boardmasters. And, seeing as the ginger wonder that is Ed Sheeran is also about, chances are we may hear one or two of these tasty remixes too.
10. Not only have we got Zinc there, but we’ve got another legendary DJ still smashing it in 2012! DJ Fresh will hopefully mix in some of his older drum n bass filth with his funkier recent tracks.
11. CJ Beatz is a familiar name from Radio 1Xtra, where his show brings the best music to the masses! He’s a guy doing big things at the moment, so expecting a BIG show at Boardmasters!
12. Utah Saints have contributed some dangerously good anthems to my playlist over the years, so it would be criminal to miss them at Boardmasters. Expecting Something Good from the boys!
So there is our dirty dozen for Boardmasters 2012 . . . . let’s hope we don’t get any set time clashes! There are loads of other enticing names on the line up as well, so we'll hopefully fill in the gaps between these guys with some more great performances and some top notch boardwork and artwork (courtesy of Looking Sideways) down at Fistral beach! For anyone coming to Boardmasters we will see you there! And here is the full line-up, a map of this year’s site and a video of some of the big sets from 2011 to get you in the mood! As if you weren’t already moist! ;)
- Looking Sideways at Boardmasters 2012