Wednesday, 18 January 2017
There's nothing better on a cold, wet winter's day than settling down for a chinwag with one of the funkiest men on the planet to talk beats, bass, funk, filth and the future - so that's exactly what we did.
Jimi Needles spends daylight hours in his beat lab, meticulously piecing together award-winning mixtapes and funk-fuelled tracks, and the hours of darkness packing out dancefloors as London town's premiere resident funk flinger - either DJing behind the decks or as drummer for soul band Ephemerals. So we grabbed a rare slice of his schedule to shoot the breeze . . .
Tell us about the latest (and final??) installment of your Needlewurk mixtape series. Vol I nabbed you the coveted Funk and Filth Mix of the Year crown back in 2014, Vol II was equally epic and now the trilogy is complete . . .
Needlewurk Volume III will indeed be the last in the series of "That" thing, I want to do something different next. I think I give away a lot when I put these mixes out; it's basically my perfect live show - and I guess if I keep doing these mixtapes people will either stop booking me for DJ sets completely, or I'll simply be known as 'that mixtape guy.' Gonna change it up or specifically theme mixes for the time being.
Oh, and, in the intro of Needlewurk Volume III, the movie guy voice is... me! Get in touch if you want a shout out, I charge by the syllable :)
Find the track listing at the end of this post.
So if mixtapes are on the back-burner, what else have you got coming up?
Ephemerals (Jalapeno Records), the soul band I drum for had a #1 hit in the French charts. Hasn't really impacted the band as we were sampled by David Guetta protege Kungs and he made our tune into a house banger. Feels weird but cool playing it in the clubs, that's for sure!
I'm also working on the Jimi Needles album, I'm moving away from the clichéd overuse of samples and more towards creating original hip hop, future bass, mid tempo breaks and drum and bass. There are stacks of people featuring on it already, all will be revealed.
What would you say is your major inspiration?
People often ask me what my inspirations are, especially when they ask me about my music taste or my mixing style. I grew up on a very healthy diet of DJ Yoda, Doorly and 2ManyDJs. DJ Yoda for the humour and the scratch DJ antics, and Doorly / 2ManyDJs for the genre bashing and party rocking.
And what's a major ball-breaker for you?
Soundcloud takedowns! I was unlucky enough to have a SoundCloud copyright takedown when I initially put the mixtape up. Somehow this worked to my advantage, as everybody was chatting about how one of my mixes was removed, I concurrently uploaded a version of the mixed tape with a brand-new edit instead of the Beatles acappella I used. Fingers crossed this one doesn't get taken down! I think SoundCloud have forced a lot of users hands; everybody's got two or three alternate accounts now; I think the obsession with trying to control where the music is being streamed from by the major labels coupled with SoundCloud becoming more of a mobile app has made the platform less enjoyable than it was 5/6 years ago; unlike Spotify, the company was never looking at sensible ways of hooking up any played content to the respective artists revenue stream, which is why the Majors are relentless. I think Soundcloud Go is too little too late; a few friends from Germany say that as a company they are in $50m worth of debt and will be bankrupt by the end of the year if no one buys or bails them. Eek!
Artists I'm looking out for this year; Phibes have good Instagram banter levels, definitely follow them as they have an album coming out too. Been privy to the new Krafty Kuts album, it's a banger, with an ensemble cast of MCs and Special Guests. Start watching cats like Dubra & Arteo, they are putting out some sick remixes lately!
Then there's Bootique Records, which is an imprint label that will launch February. It's a family affair! Few established DJs and Producers will be featuring on "Shake Ya Bootleg Volume One". Mark Rae, Odjbox, WBBL and Great Scott, and some newcomers like Estonia's Gram-of-Fun and Bournemouth's Pugzilla. The 10 track debut is a digital only release; funk, bass and hip hop vibes. (Let's talk about that when we launch). We'll be donning a London clubnight too
You can catch Jimi headlining Get Purple in London and expect to see his 2017 festival schedule published soon. But for now, we suggest you press play on Needlewurk Vol III and twist the volume knob all the way to the right!
And why not treat yourself to his Funk and Filth exclusive track 'Mr Big Stuff' which you'll find right here . . .
Needlewurk III Tracklisting
1. Needlewurk III (Intro ft Jimi Needles)
2. De La Soul - Ring Ring Ring (OJKB Bootleg - JN Fix)
3. Smokey Joe & The Kid - Please Come Home (Jimi Needles Remix)
4. Jimi Needles - Gimme The Call (WBBL Remix Instrumental)
5. Mr Bill - Skweeroskiz
6. Beastie Boys - Intergalactic (Acapella)
7. Zhane - Groove Thing (Acapella)
8. Chance The Rapper (ft Knox Fortune) - All Night (Edit)
9. Rogue - Nemesis
10. Metaljackets - Bass
11. Maki - Nena
12. Fasta & Ameiro - Don Dada
13. Tropkillaz - Barrunto (Featurecast Remix)
14. Yung Wall Street - Baby (Jimi Needles Remix)
15. Yung Wall Street vs Cookin’ On Three Burner - Baby Girl (Jimi Needles Mash)
16. The Carpenters - Rain Days & Mondays (Acapella)
17. Getter - What The Frick
18. Light Years Away - Melrose At Midnight
19. Mura Masa vs Fatman Scoop & Faith Evans - Be Lovesick (Jimi Needles Boot)
20. Dr Dre vs Fugees - Episode Or Not (Jimi Needles Rewind)
21. The Beatles vs Sister Sledge - Peak Together (Jimi Needles Boot)
22. Al Green - Let’s Stay Together (Short Edit)
23. Jimi Needles - Stay
24. Stanton Warriors - Hoping (The Vanguard Project Remix)
25. Notorious BIG ft. Method Man - The What (Acapella)
26. Document One - Run The Block
27. Funkanomics - Sucker Brunch
28. Wu-Tang Clan - Bring The Ruckus (Edit)
29. Krafty Kuts - Who’s The DJ
30. Gram-Of-Fun - Shoop (Edit)
31. Slynk - Where’s The Party At
32. DJ Shadow - Organ Donor (UZ Remix - Jimi Needles Loc’d Out Mix)
33. Phibes - Came To Get Down
34. A.Skillz vs Beatvandals - Beat Don’t Stop (Jimi Needles "Me & My Toothbrush" Rework)
35. Blackstreet - No Diggity (Acapella)
36. WBBL - Funksation
37. Mr Oizo - Flat Beat (Aaron Snapes Remix)
38. Mat Zo - Soul Food
39. Pr!nce - FunkNRoll (Chris Lake Remix - Krafty Kuts ReKut)
40. Tascione - Lights Out
41. DJ Scene - Body Mover
42. Room 5 vs Major Lazer - Pon De Disco (Jimi Needles Smashup)
43. Jvst Say Yes & Torro Torro - Give It Time
43. Blonde - All Cried Out (Acapella)
44. Delta Heavy - White Flag (VIP)
45. Dilemn & The Clamps - Frenzy
46. Tom Morello & Knife Party - Battle Sirens (RIOT Remix)
47. Drumsound & Bassline Smith - Freestyle Mambo VIP
48. The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy (Bad Company Remix)
49. Defunk - Rock My Soul
50. TC - Tap Ho
51. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows (Jimi Needles Edition)
52. Jimi Needles - Gimme The Call (ft. Great Scott & MC Skilf)
53. Krafty Kuts & Dynamite MC ft. Rodney P - Canvas (Dubra & Arteo Remix)
Friday, 4 November 2016
It was the closest vote we have ever seen in the Funk and Filth Mix Of The Year poll, but the new kid on the block DNKZ narrowly pipped previous MOTY winner Jimi Needles to the coveted 2016 crown!
With an inch-perfect selection of beats, featuring some joints from fellow MOTY shortlisters (Dub Pistols, Krafty, Plump DJs) no less, DNKZ has smashed onto the radar in emphatic fashion.
We're looking forward to see what else the Bristol-based beat machine has got coming our way in 2017, but for now we are just looking forward to cranking up his now award-winning mix on the big bass bins at Funk and Filth HQ!!
Congratulations DNKZ! Funky ladies and filthy gentlemen, here is your winner . . . !
Here's how the competition lined up . . .
It's that time of year again! A look back at the tastiest free mixes from the last 12 months, and your chance to vote for the best!
Any mix from any funky filthy genre that's been unleashed in the last 12 months is eligible, and we've got a banging selection right here! From chilled out beats, to face-shredding bass lines, from some of the biggest names in the business to some of the freshest up-and-coming DJs . . . these truly are the best mixes we've heard in the last year!
Check out who featured and who won in last year's poll.
Here's how you can help decide this year's winner:
> LISTEN to the mixes below
> DOWNLOAD your favourites for FREE
> VOTE for the ONE mix that you think should take the title of Funk and Filth's Mix Of The Year 2016
The voting options are on the right-hand side of this page (not visible when viewing on mobile phones unfortunately), all you have to do is click next to the mix that you think is the best, then click VOTE! Voting closes at the end of November.
You can also leave us a Facebook comment below, or Tweet us using the hashtag #FunkAndFilth.
We'll include your votes along with our internal voting at Funk and Filth HQ when we decide on the winner! Funk and Filth will have the final decision and any dubious voting practices will result in disqualification and a spanked bottom!
The funkiest daddy of them all gets things cracking for us in this year's shortlist. As always, Shambhala festival has spawned a load of damn fine mixes, and this is up there with our favourites . . . it includes a load of Father Funk exclusive edits as well!
Krafty Kuts is back with another ill selection of the finest beats known to man. Another year at the top of the Funk and Filth game, the force is strong in The Krafty One . . .
What's that in the sky? It is hard to identify and it's flying about spraying bass and beats over everything within reach . . . it can only be the UFO Project with their latest Bass Tape loaded into the starboard cannons! Brutal stuff.
Deep, dark, dirty, moody and devastatingly tasty . . . we've come to expect nothing less from the force otherwise known as Kurse. This mix is one of his finest ever!
This was a real gem when it landed in our lap earlier this year: two of our favourite DJs combining perfectly to deliver the ultimate embodiment of the Funk and Filth sound. You need this mix in your life! An absolute touch from Dubra and Arteo.
Dub Pistols have shared a string of tidy mixes this year, but this one takes the crown! Listening to this beautifully dirty blend of beats from the legendary Barry Ashworth and friends will make you a better person . . .
Previous Funk and Filth Mix of the Year winner Neon Steve is back once again with the latest installment in his frankly ridiculously good Pleasensations series. Volume V contains the sublime and succulent chilled and funky bass we've come to delight in, and in our view, nobody does it better than the DJ who glows in the dark!
The Punks livery came out all guns blazing this year, and one of the shining lights amongst their universally blinding roster comes in the form the Freerange trio. Pedigree bass flingers, the Freerange DJs have crafted a mix of such delectation that words cannot truly do it justice, instead we suggest you use your ears . . .
Dubaxface appears to be permanently on fire, somebody needs to put him out! Renowned for his hankering for thumping, driving, grinding basslines, his recent guest mix for the Funk Tasty Crew is nothing short of bloody brilliant. Containing a selection of Dubaxface tracks and remixes peppered among some of the year's other finest basslines, this is a genuine contender for favourite mix ever!
Previous winner of the Funk and Filth Mix of the Year Poll, Mr Needles came flying straight back us with Needlewurk Vol 2, and it's a powerhouse of a mixtape! Dripping in those Jimi-style beats from start to finish this is the perfect follow up to Needlewurk Vol 1 . . . . and we hear that Vol 3 is coming our way very soon too. Moist!
One of the major highlights on the musical calendar is the release of the next Beats Working Mixtape, and A.Skillz absolutely did not disappoint with this year's installment. Laden with pure class this is a treat for the ears and has been on pretty much constant rotation at Funk and Filth HQ throughout 2016!
Signing to Krafty's Instant Vibes label has been just one major highlight in a strong year for DNKZ. The Bristol-based beat flinger has had a string of highly-rated releases and support from big names such as Krafty Kuts (obviously) and Wuki . . . this mix is the perfect embodiment of the DNKZ flavour!
Basement Freaks smashed the icicles off the Funk and Filth ceilings in winter 2016 with this ridiculously funk-filled collection of basslines. Gigantic speakers on standby, this one has got some guts!!
Breaks and bass legends the Plump DJs did what they do best yet again and dished out a sizable helping of the good stuff in the beat feast known as the Punkscast series. Gorgeous stuff.
One of the leading lights of the breaks scene, Miss Monument has been at the top of her game again this year, epitomized by the pure class that literally drips off this mixtape. Aligned with a monstrous night of the same name in London earlier this year, Broken is exemplary of everything that is awesome in the breaks scene right now!
Bringing our shortlist to a climactic explosion is the one and only Featurecast with his BOOM! mixtape. Those of you familiar with Featurecast will no doubt have pounced straight on this mixtape upon it's release, and those few of your who may not be familiar, well, you are about to be in for a serious treat . . .
There it is. There is your shortlist! Who gets your vote?
Of course, there were loads of other brilliant funky, filthy mixes out there in the last 12 months (most of them will have been featured here on Funk and Filth at some point!), but we had to boil it down to our favourites, and here they are for you to listen to, download for free and vote for your favourite!
You'll find the voting buttons at the top of this page on the right hand side (not visible when viewing on mobile phones unfortunately!), and you can also leave a Facebook comment on this page, or Tweet us using the hashtag #FunkAndFilth.
Hope you enjoy all the mixes and massive thanks to all the DJs and Producers for another year of funky, filthy, downright deliciously dirty beats!
Click the picture below to get your hands on the latest Funk and Filth merch!
Including hats, hoodies, t-shirts and more...
Including hats, hoodies, t-shirts and more...
Saturday, 3 September 2016
Here are all the details you need . . .
FUNK THE BAR
Started in 2014 as a concept club night, with 12 Countries participating in this Global Event.
With Promoters, DJs, artists & venues connected to the Sideshow Kuts Global Club Nights, branches DJ's & promoters.
In 2015 the event concept rapidly grew from 12 Countries in 2014 to 26 countries, with international artist's & promoters from the Sideshow Kuts Global Network pushing the foundations of one of the biggest worldwide event's of its kind.
From Osaka Japan, Sydney Australia, Hong Kong China, Singapore, Bangkok Thailand, to New York U.S.A, Vancouver Canada, Amsterdam Netherlands, Paris France, York UK with Big name DJs, Clubs & Venues all participating
2016: The biggest yet, overtaking last years record and hitting 27 countries with some top worldwide DJ's, artists, cities, venues & promoters taking part including . . .
- FUNKLINERS hosting UK Edition at Crescent Club York with Guest DJ's & Artists with Grinny Grandad, A Man About A Dog (5 Piece Funk Band)
Tinkermuffin Productions Peter Bentinck Dj Fuzzy Logic.
- DA GROOVE BROTHERS Host Spain in Cafe Da Palma Madrid,
- Germany is hosted by Funky Breaks Legend " JAYL FUNK" at Hey Hey Bar in Nuremberg.
- DJ ISIANA Hosting Amsterdam's edition at Kashmir Lounge along with With DJ Lady Deep (NL) LRS (NL), Djr Molina (NL) & Dj SkyFunker (IT)
- USA our boy DIZZLE Hosting NYC Event at Richmond Hood Company Staten Island,New York City with Guests 1Way TKT x ????? with MC Nenjah Nycist.
- Canada see's VIBESREDAH & Friends & In Regina Hosting Funk the Bar 2016 at The Fat Badger local Brew house.
- TRAPSKULL hosting India's Funk The Bar 3rd year running at Roost Urban Bistro New Delhi with special Guest Basskreed (India)
- Meanwhile in Australia D-FUNK playing host in Sydney's Play Bar second year Running with very Special Guests DJ Daigo, Benny Hinn & Meem.
- Whilst New Zealand See's our Boy DJ KONCEPT Host Aucklands Showdown
- Some great Asia Venues & Dj's this year including DJ SELBOIR hosting Thailand's edition at Rock salt Koh Samui with special Guests Steve Bray & Nick Taylor (UK)
- JAY AMOUR Hosting Japans Funkyness at Sam2 Club in Osaka.
- DJ BREE & ALAN RITCHIE Hosting Cambodia at Pontoon Pulse Phnom Penh with Special Guest Dj Maily .
- Singapore is hosted by Pushin On DJ's at Kult Kafe
- Kualar Lumpur is hosted by DJ AUGIE,
- Over in the Philipnes DJ LADYMASTAH representing Manilla at Oblivian Club.
- Macau Hosted By YOUTH SAMOANE at Pacha Macau Sunset Sessions,
- Hong Kong Hosted By DJ KEITH at Wolfmarket,
- Taiwans 2 Branches Hosted by DJ CROSS CUTZ in Taipei at Triangle Club with DJ's Vicar & Markus whilst down south DJ CHAMBER Funkin the Bar at Brickyard in Kaohsiung With DJ's OZ ,Arrow & Les Ho.
- This years Vietnam Edition Looking tasty again the year Hosted By G Nomad at C.C.G Cafe in Da nang with special Guests Groove Riders Funky Brothers & CCG Mofo's. DJ G Nomad Is Sideshow KUTS Vietnam's Head DJ and this Year he MIXED The Official FUNK THE BAR 2016 DJ Mix.
New Countries this year include UAE, Egypt, Poland, Turkey, Hungry and Greece. Waiting TBC China, Switzerland & Finland
For Full Line up, Event Links , times and Host DJ's for each Country & City
Please visit our sideshowkuts.com or the Facebook page
We hope you all have a FUNKIN ' GOOD WEEKEND
Funk The Bar 2016 Worldwide Party
Saturday 3rd September 00 -00 am - pm 24 Hours of
Celebrating that party Funk Sound on a Global Scale
With Much Love Sideshow KUTS Worldwide Family XXX